Monday, March 17, 2008

***Where Were You On March 17th?-For Kathy B., Class Of 1964

Click on the headline to link to a Wikipedia entry for Saint Patrick's Day for those three people in the North Quincy universe who may not know what it is all about.

Al Johnson, Class Of 1964, comment:

Recyling is good, right? So here I am recycling an entry from March 2008 on Classmates. See, I really am enlarging my 'green footprint' on old Mother Earth . And asking a 'green' question to boot.

Did you ever skip(or think about skipping)school to attend the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston?

Chocky Ar La (Rough Translation From the Gaelic; Our Day Will Come)

Well, we are approaching March 17th and I am in my high Irish mood. And it has nothing to do that day being Evacuation Day, although celebrating the departure of any British imperial army out of any colony governed by that crowd (I am being kind here, this is after all a family-friendly site) is always cause for rejoicing. The half (on my mother's side) of me that is Irish prompts the above question; although one hardly needs to be Irish to answer it. I have seen more than one person without the remotest connection to Ireland turn 'shamrock green' on this day.

Of course, anyone who has read my entry "In Search of Lost Time" elsewhere in this section knows that I worked in Boston. As part of that experience I have enjoyed having March 17th off every year (to the befuddlement of my 'significant other' and other 'real' working people). The holiday may be officially in honor of Evacuation Day but (wink) we know what it is really about, don't we? And that is the point of my question. As Quincy students we had school, or were expected to be in school. But how many of us somehow got 'sick' that day, as a matter of course. Or lusted in our hearts to be 'sick'? Be truthful now? For all of those who answer NO to this question I want a notarized copy of your high school attendance from March 1, 1961 (if you went to Atlantic Junior High) to March 31 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment