Wednesday, April 30, 2008

***An Archaeological Dig?-For Carol C., Class Of 1964

Click on the headline to link to a "Wikipedia" entry for the "Dead Sea Scrolls" a minor discovery compared to the one discussed below.

Al Johnson, Class Of 1964, comment:


This entry was originally posted on the Classmates site in mid-April 2008. Several of the later entries below like "The Matter of Bill Cadger-Runner", "Bowling Alone in America?', The "Real" Scoop on Tri-Hi-Y" and "White Socks.... White Shorts" are based on information found with this 'discovery'.

What, no question today? (This refers to the question format that I was using at the time to introduce each entry). No, or rather I have 1000 questions. I have just been on a hunt. Was it in search of the Dead Sea Scrolls? No, that's kid's stuff. Did I venture to the cradle of civilization, Mesopotamia (Or what is left of it. This is today's Iraq). Boring, for the moment. Did I go on an Indiana Jones-style adventure in search of the lost Ark of the Covenant? Mere child play. No, I bravely went to the wilds of Newton, Massachusetts to the home of Bill Cadger, the great cross-country runner and trackman from our class. And what treasure did I dig out? A rather pristine copy of the "Manet" for the Class of 1964. This, my friends, is the find of the age.

Okay, now I have you exactly where I want you. Forget Botox and Hair Club for Men from now on, guys and gals, no more trying to pass for fifty something just because sixty is the new fifty. I have proof of age. In black and white glossies. And I do believe that I could find a good enough lawyer to have it hold up in court. Bill, though, is already talking about hiring hit men to do me in if I so much as harm a hair on any classmate's head. You know Bill; he was always one for the wild talk. Believe one thing now that I have this little beauty for ammunition there will be no end of pithy comments on these message boards.

But enough of that for now. A couple of comments are in order before I do a thorough scientific examination of this artifact. First, in the interest of scientific veracity I must confess an error. In my commentary "A Walk Down Dream Street" (now "In Search Of Lost Time" post) I mentioned that Bill and I spent many a summer evening on the front steps of North Quincy High discussing our dreams. In describing the steps I mentioned that there were either stone lions or gargoyles on either side of the steps. Well, in many pictures in the year book the front steps frame the shot. The items on the side of the steps were actually stone columns and globes. I was close though, right? That is definitely either a result of the mist of time or senility. Your choice.

Finally, a first observation on a run through of the class pictures. For most of the guys I would not want to meet you in a dark alley, even now. For most of the gals, and call me a "dirty old man" but please, please do not tell my "significant other" I would not mind meeting you in the dark. But, mainly, classmates I am in the dark. Enlighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment