Saturday, April 26, 2008

***Once Again On The Great Class Of 1964 Runner Bill Cadger -For Steve T., Class Of 1964

*Once Again On The Great Class Of 1964 Runner Bill Cadger -For Steve T., Class Of 1964

Al Johnson, Class Of 1964, comment

Originally posted in May 2008 on Classmates


What kind of madness have I unleashed? What kinds of monsters have I let loose? Recently, as a simple act of friendship, I wrote a commentary in this space arguing that my old friend and our classmate from 1964 Bill Cadger should be inducted into the North Quincy High School Sports Hall of Fame (See "In the Matter Of Bill Cadger-Runner", dated April 26, 2008). Now my e-mail message center is clogged with requests from every dingbat with some kind of special pleading on his or her mind. A few examples should suffice, although as a matter of conscience (mine) they shall remain nameless.

One request argued for recognition based on finishing 23rd in the Senior Division of the Squantum Fourth of July Fun Run. Well, what of it? Another, arguing for inclusion into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, touted her near perfect imitation of Mick Jagger on "Gimme Shelter". Please!! A third sought a testimonial from me for an employment opportunity, including a resume that made me truly wonder where she had been all these years. Here is my favorite. A fellow classmate wants me to get in on the ground floor, as a financial backer of course, for his idea of putting the ubiquitous teenage cell phone use and the Internet together. Hello! Jack (oops, I forgot, no names) I believe they call that "Sidekick", or some such thing. As so it goes.

Listen up- I hear "MySpace" and "YouTube" calling all and sundry such untapped talents. Please leave the North Quincy High School Class of 1964 Message Board for serious business. You know, this writer's musings on the meaning of existence, the lessons of history and the struggle against mortality. That said, at the moment that serious business entails getting the gracefully-gaited Mr. Cadger his shot at immortality by induction into the Sports Hall of Fame. Let us keep our eyes on the prize here. Join me in that effort. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment