Wednesday, November 25, 2015

He Did It His Way-The Chairman Of The Boards-Frank Sinatra

Chick below to link to an NPR review of the Chairman of the Boards Frank Sinatra’s latest compilation CD set highlighting his radio years. (November 25, 2015)     


From The Pen Of Frank Jackman

 

Okay here is my take on Frank Sinatra by the numbers-two numbers to be exact.

Number one-back in the mid-1950s when I came of age, musical age, I was hardily sick and tired of hearing my parents’ music, the music that got them through the Great Depression with their “wanting habits” still on and World War II in one piece, mostly, mostly those who survived the muds of Europe and the Pacific seas and the torturous wait at home for the other shoe to drop. Hardily sick of Bing Crosby, the Andrews Sisters, Vaughn Monroe, the Inkspots, Vera Lynn, Miss Patti Page, Miss Peggy Lee (although I was a little soft on her Benny Goodman days when he played heaven clarinet behind her) and the “max daddy” bobby-sox idol of them all the iconic Frank Sinatra.

I was ready, more than ready to throw the damn radio glued to WJDA and the Bill Marlowe Hour into the bloody Atlantic seas. What I wanted, what I craved was Big Joe Turner be-bopping Shake, Rattle and Roll, bad boy Tina-less Ike Turner be-bopping Rocket 88, Bill Haley and his blessed Comets blowing sexy saxes on Rock Around The Clock, Elvis slam-dunking It’s All Right Mama and billion other tunes and a bunch of others who were present at the creation-present when rock and roll was the fresh breeze across the land.     

Number two-recently the iconic Bob Dylan (I have to make sure I get my quota of “iconic” in my pieces these days the flavor word of the month lately reducing every single thing that has happened in the universe under that title) produced a tribute album to the influence of Frank Sinatra on him. Lo these fifty years since the 1960s folk minute had its day and never have I heard uttered from that man’s lips the name Frank Sinatra as his muse, his go to guy. The whole folk world still extant is in mourning over that one.

So as you can tell I have had my rock and roll moments, still do, still can crank up the energy of Ike Turner blowing that piano to dust on Rocket 88 on YouTube.  I have had, still do, my long arc 1960s folk minute revival via the never-ending Bob Dylan bootleg series. What I do not have, still do not have a feeling for is old Frankie boy no matter how many motherly and grandmotherly bobby-soxers he drove crazy. But you may have such feelings so checkout this NPR review.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment