Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The "Mac Daddy" Of Modern Blues- Robert Johnson




DVD REVIEW

Hell Hounds On His Heels- The Legendary Robert Johnson’s Story


 

Can’t You Hear The Wind Howl?: The Life And Music of Robert Johnson, Robert Johnson and various artists, narrated by Danny Glover, 1997

 

I have recently spent some little effort making comparisons between old time country blues singers. My winners have been Skip James and Son House. Apparently, if the story behind the Robert Johnson story presented here is right, I am in a minority compared to the like of guitarists Eric Clapton and Keith Richards. So be it. After viewing this very informative bio, complete with the inevitable “talking heads" that populate these kinds of film efforts I still have that same opinion, except I would hold Johnson’s version of his “Sweet Home, Chicago” in higher regard after listening to it here. Previously many other covers of the song, including the trendy Blues Brothers version seemed better, a lot better.

 

The producers of this film have spent some time and thought on presentation. The choice of Danny Glover as expressive and thoughtful narrator was a welcome sign. Having Johnson road companion and fellow blues artist, Johnny Shines, give insights into Johnson’s work habits, traveling ways, womanizing, whisky drinking, and off-center personality make this a very strong film. Add in footage of Son House (an early Johnson influence) and various other Delta artists who met or were met by Johnson along the way and one gets the feeling that this is more a labor of love than anything else. For a man who lived fast, died young and left a relatively small body of work (some 20 odd songs) this is a very good take on Robert Johnson. I might add that if Johnson is your number one blues man this film gives you plenty of ammunition for your position.

Note: As is almost universally true with such film endeavors we only get snippets of the music. I would have liked to hear a full “Preacher’s Blues,” “Sweet Home, Chicago,” "Terraplane Blues,” and “Hell Hounds On My Heels” but for that one will have to look elsewhere. Hail YouTube.

 

"Terraplane Blues" lyrics-Robert Johnson

 

And I feel so lonesome

you hear me when I moan

When I feel so lonesome

you hear me when I moan

Who been drivin my terraplane

for you since I've been gone

I'd said I flashed your lights mama

your horn won't even blow

I even flash my lights mama

this horn won't even blow

Got a short in this connection

hoo-well, babe, its way down below

I'm on hist your hood momma

I'm bound to check your oil

I'm on hist your hood momma mmmm

I'm bound to check your oil

I got a woman that I'm lovin

way down in Arkansas

Now you know the coils ain't even buzzin

little generator won't get the spark

Motors in a bad condition

you gotta have these batteries charged

But I'm cryin please

 

No comments:

Post a Comment